I’m Starting a Creative Writing Group in Vancouver!

Hi friends, writers, aspiring writers, creatives, and fun people who like to congregate around shared interests over drinks:

I have been talking about this for a while, and now I think it’s time: I’m starting a creative writing group in Vancouver!

Who can join? Anyone who likes to write.

When and where will we meet? Every two weeks on Wednesday evenings at a local drinking establishment, preferably with big tables and not too much noise.

What will happen? At each meeting, we’ll each take turns presenting the group with a creative prompt. This could be a piece of art, a piece of writing, a word, an object–anything. Group members will then use that prompt to inspire a piece of writing. For example, I might present a prompt like this amazing new blog I found called Stories About Prince. You could then take that prompt and write your own story about Prince, a poem about Prince, or a story about purple rain. Anything! Then, at our next meeting, we can share what we wrote, or just chat about our writing projects in general.

Aside from the above general guidelines, there are no rules. Nothing is a wrong answer, and I promise I won’t be playing spelling and grammar police. It’s all about fun and creativity.

Join us!

The first meeting will be held:

Wednesday, Mar. 27 at 7pm at The Morrissey Pub, 1227 Granville Street (between Davie and Drake)

Please let me know in the comments or via email at jessica@jessicagrey.com if you’re coming so we can secure a big enough table.

Hope to see you there!

About the author: JessicaGrey

I'm a copywriter for web, print, radio and video. Contact me to get content that effectively communicates the benefits of your product or service.

10 comments to “I’m Starting a Creative Writing Group in Vancouver!”

You can leave a reply or Trackback this post.

1. Geneviève Touclay - March 19, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Hi.. i may not be able to come to your meeting in the flesh but i would love to participate in writing.. i love to wite and have never entered a writing group.. and seeing yours made me want to join… tell me if its possible.. i live in France and a very very good friend of mine gave me this link..
    ty and hope to have news from you soon… ciao ciao GEn

2. JessicaGrey - March 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Hi Genevieve – thanks for your interest! We’ll start an email list so perhaps I can email you the prompts and we can share our writing via email! Also thinking of starting a blog to feature some of the work. I’ll keep you posted now that I have your email.

3. jen - March 20, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Next wednesday works well. See you then! Thanks for starting this Jess!

4. Charlie - April 2, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Hi! I’m the author of Stories About Prince; thanks for the support! I’d be interested in reading what your group members come up with if you really do wind up using *SAP* as a prompt.
    Lord knows (fake) Prince could use the laugh; he has a cold and keeps calling me up asking me to bring him Hot Pockets and orange juice so he doesn’t have to stop his *House of Cards* marathon and leave the house.

5. JessicaGrey - April 3, 2013 at 8:35 am

Hi Charlie! Thanks so much for your comment! I’m a big fan of your work. I will certainly share any SAP-inspired work we produce.

6. Heath Davidson - May 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm

If you’re in the middle of coming up with some new ideas, this exercise can help. Get a piece of paper and a pen and draw two lines down the middle to form three columns. In the first column, list every type of person you can think of, such as the police, firemen, grandparents, your spouse, a princess or whatever comes to mind. Next, think of a variety of places. It can range from the grocery store to Ireland. In the last column, list a time period or famous historical event like the Battle of Gettysburg or the year 1492. Combine a person, place and event and experiment with writing about that particular situation. You can try as many as you like!

7. Tess - August 13, 2016 at 7:21 pm

Hi Jess and writers,
    I’m down!
    Is this group happening still?

8. JessicaGrey - January 2, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Hey Tess! Sorry for the late reply. I live in Toronto now, so the writing group in Vancouver is no longer. Sorry!